POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : About THAT idea... : Re: About THAT idea... Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About THAT idea...
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 14 Sep 2002 11:27:46
Message: <chrishuff-B32FCB.11264714092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> I wanted simmilar thing for reflection. This here is a real reflection that
> we can create with POV, and here comes image of _same_ scene but with env-
> map... hmmm how can I create env-map in POV ? This is the only 'category'
> in with POV cannot simulate work of 'less complicate' renderers.

A scanline tracer isn't less complicated, just less realistic.
And POV can simulate it, it is just that it only allows one environment
map per scene (the sky_sphere).

> > Not a new idea, in fact, a pretty old one. Intersection point,
> > distance, normals (raw and perturbed), ray origin and direction...
>
> Is some path beeing wrriten currently for that ?

I'm working on it, though not very actively, and I'm sure others have
looked at it...it has been discussed many times on these groups as a way
to get something close to shader functionality. I think Warp was also
thinking about it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/