POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 4.0 Feature discussion : Re: 4.0 Feature discussion Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4.0 Feature discussion
From: Chris Huff
Date: 6 Oct 2000 12:00:12
Message: <chrishuff-B19E31.11023906102000@news.povray.org>
In article <39d47d5b$1@news.povray.org>, "Tom Melly"
<tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote:

> Interesting idea - has anyone ever written an alternative scene
> language for POV (e.g. OOP) that, when run, outputs a translation to
> normal pov scene lang.?

I have been playing around with this idea..."CSDL", or C-like Scene
Description Language. It would be an object-oriented language with a
vaguely C-like syntax(variable declaration style, {} blocks, flow
control statements, etc).
I would have a translator program that reads the CSDL files and outputs
.pov files(the first version would execute the CSDL and output objects,
but later versions might be able to translate some things like loops to
POV code). Other features could be things like OpenGL previews.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any good quick-start tutorials for Bison
or Flex and nothing on using the versions of these tools available on
the Mac(which seem to be very few, undocumented, and not up-to-date.).
This shouldn't be a problem with OS X though...yet another advantage of
a UNIX-based system. :-)

--
Christopher James Huff

<><