POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : long syntax : Re: long syntax Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: long syntax
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 24 Jul 2002 12:17:17
Message: <chrishuff-AEEA36.11100824072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> finish { ambient 0 }
> finish { ambient 0 diffuse .3 reflection { .2 .4 } metallic .7 brilliance
> 1.2 }
>
> will need 2 macros to make any sens, or one macro to be used like :
> Fin(0, -1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1);
> where -1 means "default value"

Far too many parameters to be practical there...and what's wrong with a
set of macros?

> ok, It was just a suggestion. Meany peoples says "what, I had to write 10
> pages to get a simpel image ? no - thanks" and it's not easy to convince
> them... well - theirs problem ;)

And a third as many pages of apparently garbage text is an improvement?
People already balk at the idea of learning the scene language, it helps
if the keywords actually make some sense. Someone new to POV sees
"finish" followed by words that describe real-world surface
characteristics and it is fairly obvious the type of thing it referrs
to, they see "@@fi" followed by a bunch of similar garbage and what do
you expect them to think?

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/