POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PolyRay : Re: PolyRay Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:23:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PolyRay
From: Chris Huff
Date: 6 Jul 2000 10:08:09
Message: <chrishuff-AC9F3B.09082206072000@news.povray.org>
In article <39647B53.CC2D4732@mitre.org>, xan### [at] mitreorg wrote:

> Not being too up on how volumetrics are done in Mega-POV, I'll try to
> relate the methods.  I use a very traditional ray marching algorithm.
> Samples are taken at fixed intervals along the ray.  There's some
> attempt to limit the number of samples through: use of bounding box (if
> any), minimum # of samples/ray, maximum # of samples/ray, opacity cutoff
> level, light influences, etc..

This sounds similar to MegaPOV method 2 media. It takes evenly spaced
samples, and produces images without the graininess of the official
version(called method 1 in MegaPOV), but has problems with banding and
jagged edges. There is a method 3 which performs supersampling at areas
where the samples vary by more than a threshold level, this kind lacks
most of the artifacts of method 2 and is nearly as fast.

> >      - Multiple microfacet models
> >         (MegaPOV has a blinn model alongside the phong and specular
> > models, does that count?)
>   Just add: Cook, Gaussian, and Reitz.

Do you know of any online papers about these?

> >      - Lens flares
> >         (POV-Ray plugins exist for this for the official version)
>
> As objects, which affects speed of rendering.  Given the nature of lens
> flares (things happening within the series of elements making up a
> lens), this is more properly handled as a post process.  I would guess
> that the official version doesn't account for visibility of the light
> when determining which flares to draw.

There are two lens flare includes which I know of, and at least one of
them can do "hiding" of a lens flare behind an object. However, though I
have installed both of these "plugins", I have never actually used them,
so I don't really know what I am talking about. :-)

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/