POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Even distribution on a sphere : Re: Even distribution on a sphere Server Time
5 Aug 2024 14:12:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Even distribution on a sphere
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 20 Oct 2002 18:48:55
Message: <chrishuff-A848A2.18440920102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3db06ec0@news.povray.org>,
 Johannes Dahlstrom <sad### [at] tkukoulufi> wrote:

> Well, there's nothing that forces random numbers to be evenly distributed.
> It is probable that they more or less are, but nothin stops them from
> tightly clustered around one single point, for example. I think Chris meant
> a distribution where every point is as far away from other points as
> possible, so that the distances between points are roughly equal.

I meant that stars are not distributed so the angular distances between
each one and the nearest neighbor as seen from earth are approximately
equal. Stars are not "evenly distributed", they are closer to being
"randomly distributed". I think that approximately matches what you
said, but I'm not sure. ;-)

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/