POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : replacing texture with depth : Re: replacing texture with depth Server Time
5 Aug 2024 04:22:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: replacing texture with depth
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 6 Dec 2002 19:27:06
Message: <chrishuff-A6328F.19240206122002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3df12dfb28766bdeac64e6620@news.povray.org>,
 "David" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> I'm curious why depth is not an output option or camera option?  It should
> be easy to calculate, and it is useful for academic studies of image
> motion.

Easier than that, it is already calculated, all you have to do is output
the depth values instead of calculating textures and lighting. I did
this as one of my earliest patches, Ron Parker did a similar patch, and
the post_process patch in MegaPOV had a fiilter that output the depth
data, though it didn't skip the texture and lighting calculations.

The post_process patch wasn't ready for an official release, and it
would be pointless to add one of the other implementations when it would
only get replaced with something else in the future.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/