POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : height field object of new type : Re: height field object of new type Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:27:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: height field object of new type
From: Chris Huff
Date: 27 Aug 2000 17:25:09
Message: <chrishuff-A506EC.16263927082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39A983CE.351F4573@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>,
chr### [at] gmxde wrote:

> If i understand things right they can be used in pigments although i
> never tried it.

They can be used as function patterns in a pigment, but I don't think
they can be used directly in a pigment.

> BTW, what's the difference between the 'i_dat3d' stuff and a
> density_file / image_map pigment function except the syntax ? maybe
> speed ? I just saw that you can also use df3 files for those
> functions and found everything quite irritating.

I think the i_dat3d format allows for colors, while df3 only stores
8-bit grayscale. And the i_dat3d *function* can read df3 files, but not
the other way around.
If a 3D image map was allowed, it would solve some of the problems with
mapping image maps without obvious stretching, tiling, or deformations.
The memory use would skyrocket, though...3D bitmaps are big. And there
currently doesn't seem to be much software that supports them, though I
plan to write a couple Mac programs...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><