POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Tesselation and mesh data extraction patches : Re: Tesselation and mesh data extraction patches Server Time
10 May 2024 13:00:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tesselation and mesh data extraction patches
From: Chris Huff
Date: 18 Dec 2000 12:43:57
Message: <chrishuff-A13EC7.12450118122000@news.povray.org>
In article <3A3E49C1.2B818210@gmx.de>, Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> Chris Huff wrote:
> >
> > I agree, it would be nice if a sphere could use a geodesic tesselation,
> > a cube could be done with 12 triangles, etc...
>
> But that would not work for CSG.  You would either have to calculate the
> boundary lines between the different parts or calculate the CSG of
> different solid meshes separately.

It would work perfectly fine for CSG...because they are a separate type
of object, they will just use the marching tetrahedrons method (or some
other sampling method) until someone implements something better
specifically for them. The whole idea is that you don't have to write a
specialized method for every object at once, you can do it for a few
objects at a time.

Someone could eventually go through the trouble to implement the code
for CSG on meshes, and tesselate the objects individually and combine
them together. Unions, for example, would be very easy, just put the
meshes of each object together into one big mesh, you don't have to
worry about boundary lines.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><