POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : looking for antialiasing critical scenes : Re: looking for antialiasing critical scenes Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: looking for antialiasing critical scenes
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 23 Feb 2002 21:21:32
Message: <chrishuff-9795E5.21212223022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c782d3c@news.povray.org>,
 "Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote:

> It is clipped before AA and there's a good reason.
>
> Suppose you have a really bright sphere (the sun). All pixels that hit the
> sun would be completely white no matter if the sun occupies a small or big
> amount of the pixel, simply because the high brightness would dominate in
> the average. The result would be that very bright objects would not look
> antialiased at all no matter how high quality AA settings you used.

Well, this explains why I never succeeded in getting stars to survive AA
by increasing their brightness...that was the exact effect I expected
and wanted. I can manually soften the sun's outline (media, or a dimmer
sphere visible just around its edges), eliminating the problem there,
but there doesn't seem to be any way to compensate for small
(sub-pixel), very bright objects getting obliterated by the antialiasing.
Maybe a smarter algorithm would be possible...if there are other
high-brightness pixels nearby, you are at the edge of a bright object,
so clip and supersample, otherwise supersample then clip.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/