POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Overlaping objects with different ior values : Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:21:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 24 Jul 2002 12:28:26
Message: <chrishuff-932C85.11211724072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d3ed0da@news.povray.org>, Micha Riser <mri### [at] gmxnet>
wrote:

> I called it a bug because ior has been moved from finish to interior
> because ior has to be constant in the whole object to prevent that a ray
> enters at one ior and leaves at a different one. But when two object of
> different ior are merged / intersected exactly the same thing happens.

There isn't really any way around that. At least it is an improvement.
One thing that has been bothering me is the "glass of water" type
situation...I'm not sure POV handles it correctly or how to model it
correctly.

> I see now that overlaping of transparent object in union cannot be checked
> at parsing time and checking it during rendering would things slow down.
> But in the case of merge/intersection a warning at parsing time could be
> issued.

It is no more possible in those cases than it is in a union. They would
have to be checked at render time just like unions.
The best you could do is check if the bounding boxes overlap and give a
"possible overlap" warning if more than one object is transparent, but
that would happen so often it would be completely useless.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/