POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Tesselation and mesh data extraction patches : Re: Tesselation and mesh data extraction patches Server Time
13 May 2024 00:15:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tesselation and mesh data extraction patches
From: Chris Huff
Date: 14 Dec 2000 13:10:07
Message: <chrishuff-90FAB9.13110514122000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a38ca62@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   Would this alternative syntax be better?
>
> tesselate
> { MyObject
>   accuracy INTEGER
>   [smooth]
>   [inside_vector VECTOR]
> }

I think so...for one thing, there currently aren't any functions that
return objects, so you should probably stick to the object syntax for
creating objects. Also, this syntax could be applied to the idea I was
talking about earlier while keeping a fairly consistant syntax:
mesh {
    tesselate {OBJECT, etc...}
    tesselate {OBJECT2, etc...}
}

BTW, do you think there is a need for more insideness-testing methods?
Not all meshes will work perfectly with a single test, sending 3 rays at
right angles(or more rays in various directions) would work better in
some cases. However, it would be slower, and in some cases the 1 ray
method would be perfectly adequate or even more useful than the "more
reliable" method. For example, if you have a sheet-like mesh that you
want everything "under" to be "inside", something like a height field.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><