POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hi from DKBTrace author : Re: Hi from DKBTrace author Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:28:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hi from DKBTrace author
From: Chris Huff
Date: 20 Jan 2001 11:59:12
Message: <chrishuff-90F6A0.12001820012001@news.povray.org>
In article <Xns902EBD2AFBF32hookflashhotmailcom@204.213.191.228>,
hoo### [at] hotmailcom (Hookflash) wrote:

> I agree that the PovRay license is currently inadequate.  In fact, I
> think their whole software development philosophy is
> counter-productive... If they would just OpenSource it like most
> other free projects out there, and allow an open development process
> (similar to Linux), we wouldn't have to all be sitting here waiting
> in the dark for the next release.  Of coarse, I shouldn't be
> complaining, considering that PovRay is just plain awesome, but
> sometimes I get frustrated.  Just my 2 cents.

Um, what's wrong with MegaPOV? I wouldn't call it "waiting in the dark"
with things like MegaPOV available...and perhaps you just haven't
noticed, but there has been a small explosion of new patches lately.

As for the license: modifying POV-Ray is allowed, it just has to remain
"POV-Ray"...you can't just strip out the renderer and use the parser, or
use code from it in your own projects, the modified version has to
retain the functionality of the official version. This seems to be quite
a reasonable requirement to me...or were you talking about the other
restrictions?

And a much more "open" development model is planned for POV 4.0. For
more information, read the message "POV-Team Status Report - September
1, 2000" by Chris Cason in povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><