POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : help with rotation, gimbal lock? quaternions? : Re: help with rotation, gimbal lock? quaternions? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: help with rotation, gimbal lock? quaternions?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 15 Mar 2002 10:06:32
Message: <chrishuff-8FB571.10061615032002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <7k739u4hvrtp1um8nhc8n77d554ohj92ch@4ax.com>,
 Peter Popov <pet### [at] vipbg> wrote:

> Well, what I do is inverse-transform the point of intersection
> (accounting for translation) so that it is in the object's own
> coordinate sphere, then use a simple formula to determine the normal
> of a unit object,

This is the usual way of doing this part.

> then transform that normal back to global space (ignoring
> translation, of course). This works. And of course it might just turn
> out that I am doing what you're doing, only slower <g>. I need to
> explore this better.

It doesn't work. Think about what it's doing...
Assume the translation is scale < 1, 0.5, 1>. When you transform the
normal back into the global space as a direction, you end up halving the
y component, making it more perpendicular to the y axis. This is the
opposite of what you want to do...the normal should point *more* along
the y axis.

And again with the sheared box...say you shear the +y axis in the +x
direction. You inverse-transform the intersection point and compute the
normal of an intersection on the top of the box as < 0, 1, 0>. Your
method will shear this vector, when it should remain < 0, 1, 0>.

I don't fully understand why using the transpose here works, but it does
in my own experiments, and POV seems to use it.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/