POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : save hf pattern ? : Re: save hf pattern ? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: save hf pattern ?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 30 Sep 2002 17:42:35
Message: <chrishuff-8E6D6A.17392730092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> all variables are changed into literal values, like :
> x *sin(y)*power + clock  into :
> x*sin(y)*1.5+0.1333

This can't be done. What "literal values" would you change objects into?
What about data read from files? That's just two examples. It would take
a huge amount of coding to cover the simplest situations. It is not
worth it.

> > Render time is not affected at all. Total time including parse might
> > go from 10 minutes to 9 minutes 30 seconds.
> no. Very basic pattern that I used to create mountains, parses 15 sec. on
> 1500x1500

Thanks for the example, it supports my statements, not yours.

> wouldn't adding 1 keyword be easier/nicer/more comfortable for users then
> writting scripts ? What if linux user want's to give it to un-expirienced
> windows suer (with fast machine) or vice-versa ?

He has to render some other scenes first, taking perhaps a few minutes a
piece, big deal...
Or use function images, no trouble at all, and minimal speed penalty.

> > Saving a tiny amount of time. A solution without a problem.
> no. Did You try any complex pattern function yet ? That would generate
> realy nice mountains ? Or wait, I will post litte example soon.

Yes. Doesn't take very long. Definitely not long enough to justify
adding a feature like this, which doesn't really fit in with the
existing features.

> >> + users HDD space will not wasted by outdated cache files
> > But it will.
> only if user wants to do so. I.e. I want to spare some of 60 GB HDD to
> increase rendering/parsing speed.

Then render image files with the desired pattern on a plane.

> > into an extremely complex
> save .tga of 2d array of height_field - is this extremly complex for You ?

You have an amazing ability to ignore simple logic...I don't believe you
could really be that stupid. The saving to a file is the simplest part
of your suggestion.

> > unpredictable, unportable,
> why ? I agreee .tga is better then raw data.

Image format is irrelevant, that complex cache system would be nearly
impossible to write portably and efficiently. Unpredictable because at
any render it might or might not use a cached version, you'd have to
avoid using it for benchmarks.

> > wasteful
> ?

Of disk space, mainly.