POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mega-Pov or V3.5? : Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:15:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 29 Jan 2002 22:48:01
Message: <chrishuff-8D6DF4.22502329012002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <slr### [at] fwicom>,
 Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote:

> bold and italic characters in the middle of a string?  We could write a
> whole freakin' typesetting language in the text object, and somebody
> still wouldn't be happy.  Best to stop that before it starts.

Hmm...embedded PDF support? ;-)

> > Glows (Ahem, Chris, didn't you write this one? ; } ).
>
> After 3.5 was well past the planning stages, again.  And Chris is a member
> of the TAG, not the POV-Team, so he doesn't decide what goes in and what
> doesn't.

Besides, I've said many times the patch is incomplete...I believe I even
stated this in the documentation.

> > Particle_system (I know the author is around somewhere).
>
> See comments for POVMan.

More like the one for glows...not nearly complete enough.

> Other things you don't know about 3.5: it's more stable, cleaner
> code, has more internal consistency in the language, and generally
> runs faster than MegaPOV.  Code you write for 3.5 will be compatible
> in some way with 4.0.  Code you write for MegaPOV today won't even
> be compatible with the next version of MegaPOV, let alone any
> official version of POV.

Personally, this is my favorite part...I plan to rewrite both the
particle system and glow patches to take advantage of POV 3.5, doing
things which I couldn't do (without a lot of effort) with MegaPOV.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/