POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fastest way of making polyhedra : Re: Fastest way of making polyhedra Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fastest way of making polyhedra
From: Chris Huff
Date: 10 Jul 2001 14:57:02
Message: <chrishuff-8C9BEC.13553010072001@povray.org>
In article <3B4A66AA.81C0BC71@global2000.net>,
 Andrea Ryan <ary### [at] global2000net> wrote:

> Which way of making polyhedra is faster: using triangle meshes or
> intersections of planes like those in the shapes2.inc file?

It probably depends on what you are doing...meshes will definitely be
faster if you don't manually bound the CSG intersections properly...an
intersection of planes will normally be considered infinite. If you have
a large number of polyhedra, meshes will be more efficient.
I really have no idea which would be faster if the intersection is well
bounded.

--
Christopher James Huff - chr### [at] maccom, http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/

<><