POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hi from DKBTrace author : Re: Hi from DKBTrace author Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hi from DKBTrace author
From: Chris Huff
Date: 25 Jan 2001 16:33:46
Message: <chrishuff-8BD105.16343725012001@news.povray.org>
In article <slr### [at] fwicom>, ron### [at] povrayorg
wrote:

> Whoops, seems I misremembered it a bit.  It only took fourth place, and
> it was Wired who ran the survey rather than Salon.  Here's a URL:
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,40484,00.html

And they gave Mac OS X first place...when there has been a public beta
available for a while and a recently announced shipping date. (well, the
shipping date was probably announced after this was written, but the
beta has been around since October.)
It is certainly *very* late, but I wouldn't call it vaporware when lots
of people besides the developers are running it...

> When real life intervenes, as it does all too often, schedules slip.
> That's why 3.5 is long overdue, and why Linux 2.4 was long overdue.
> The GPL or lack thereof is a different thing entirely, but the person
> I was replying to didn't seem to understand that.

What I can't understand is the problem with MegaPOV or the other
unofficial versions...or why he doesn't like the idea that POV source
code isn't allowed to be used in anything but POV, or that distributing
crippled versions isn't allowed.
And the insistence on complaining in spite of a public announcement that
the POV Team is considering a different, possibly Open Source license is
a bit strange.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><