POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : zRCube (POV Clone) : Re: zRCube (POV Clone) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:13:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: zRCube (POV Clone)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 31 May 2001 15:43:32
Message: <chrishuff-86B691.14403431052001@povray.org>
In article <3b1609e6@news.povray.org>,
 "Gail Shaw" <gsh### [at] monotixcoza> wrote:

> I don't even want to think about writing code to tesselate any isosurface.

Actually, any object that has an inside and outside, and a finite volume
can be tesselated, for example by using the marching cubes or marching
tetrahedrons algorithms. Warp's tesselation patch is an example of this.

However, the meshes don't use triangles very efficiently, and high
amounts of detail require *huge* meshes.

PS: I think even shapes without an inside can be tesselated, as long as
you can figure out if the surface is between any two points.

--
Christopher James Huff - chr### [at] maccom, http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/

<><