POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : realistic rendering in pov : Re: realistic rendering in pov Server Time
9 Aug 2024 21:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: realistic rendering in pov
From: Chris Huff
Date: 27 Jun 2000 11:42:57
Message: <chrishuff-854CFC.10425827062000@news.povray.org>
In article <8F5FF9AABdashixpressnet@204.213.191.228>, das### [at] x-pressnet
(daishi) wrote:

> the main problem with 3d in general is that the
> scene/textures/anything are to 'perfect' (most of my scenes I do do
> in 'hyper realism' though. its only a few times I like to get the
> less then perfect 'real world')

It might be interesting to make two versions of an image: one which goes
into a lot of very tiny details but is "perfect", for example, having
books on a shelf perfectly aligned, papers on a table in a stack
centered in the middle, etc, as well as a real-world version with the
same level of detail but with randomness and noise introduced into the
scene: knots in wood panels, leaning books, scattered pens/pencils,
smudges of dirt and dust, etc.

> for textures, noise is your friend. one thing I think pov could use is
> fractal noise, this seems to be better then the other types of noise imo

The granite and wrinkles patterns are examples of fractal noise, as well
as the turbulence warp, etc. In MegaPOV, you also have Ridged and Hetero
Multifractals, and can make fractal noise patterns with the function {}
pattern.

> also a fully extensible shading language ala renderman wouldn't hurt
> either

There is someone working on a shader patch...it isn't a simple addition,
however.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/