POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Parsing : Re: POV Parsing Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Parsing
From: Chris Huff
Date: 30 Aug 2000 20:15:10
Message: <chrishuff-8483D0.19164430082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39ad99dd@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   The most efficient way of storing numbers (integers and floats) is to
> write their byte values in memory directly to the file as raw binary
> data.
> In this way they will take the least space and they can be read very fast
> (you don't have to parse it, you just read that binary data directly into
> the memory location that represents your variable).
...snip...

This only applies to *saving* the byte code data. And as you mentioned,
it is possible to save/read the data on platforms of both endianness.
While this is slower, it isn't as slow as reading ASCII.
But this doesn't really matter, since you don't need to save the byte
code to a file that will go to another system. At most, a temporary file
will be needed. Most or all of it can reside in RAM, and be processed
much faster than POV can parse now. Since you can always use the
original source file, there isn't any need for the byte codes to be
saved to their own format.

> : What about control aids? They would process much faster in byte-code.

What are "control aids"?

>   I don't know how isosurface functions are implemented in megapov, but I
> wouldn't be surprised if they were converted to byte-code (which uses
> stack arithmetic) which is interpreted while rendering. And we all know
> how fast isosurfaces are (they are incredibly fast).
>   Someone who knows could tell us how it is done.

I think the isosurface functions do use byte codes or a similar
technique. I don't understand either one of them well enough to say for
sure, though.
And I wouldn't call them "incredibly fast"...well, if you compare them
to the POV-Script parser...and they are surprisingly fast. Just not
"incredibly" fast. :-)

--
Christopher James Huff

<><