POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : contained_by problem... : Re: contained_by problem... Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:59:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: contained_by problem...
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 2 Apr 2002 13:24:28
Message: <chrishuff-80494C.13253502042002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <joijau009g81v8udi3lh87f9ajdc2qa416@4ax.com>,
 W?odzimierz ABX Skiba <abx### [at] babilonorg> wrote:

> I was refered to clipped_be versus bounded_by from yours previous
> post. You said: "clipped_by (...) automatically set bounded_by".
> There is known method to put bounding sphere near camera for object
> far away camera. If such object have clipped_by and this clipping
> object would set bounded_by automatically then it sounds a little
> like a bug for me.

The situation is similar...not setting bounded_by would be a bug. POV
doesn't know about these tricks, to it, the bounding box is wrong
because some rays that hit the object won't hit the box. If it didn't
adjust it, it would cause problems in almost every scene, and the user
would have to manually bound it. However, it shouldn't override the
user-specified bounding shape, and I don't know if it does so.
Specifying bounded_by after contained_by or clipped_by should work
anyway.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/