POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Proximity Pattern and 3.5 : Re: Proximity Pattern and 3.5 Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proximity Pattern and 3.5
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 8 Feb 2002 20:23:20
Message: <chrishuff-7EBB20.20253808022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <slr### [at] fwicom>,
 Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote:

> So does this, essentially.  It effectively returns an approximation of the
> fraction of the local region of space that's occupied by the object.  For
> a sufficiently small region or a sufficiently large object, that number is
> related to the distance to the surface of the object (though part of me
> thinks there should be a cube root involved somewhere...)

It is affected by proximity, but has no direct relation to it. The
geometry of the surface is more important than distance...a very thin
cylinder compared to a plane for example. And objects without insides
will be invisible to it, since they contain no volume. It's really
nothing like the proximity pattern, more of a blurred object pattern.

Hmm, I'm going to have to try using smooth noise instead of random
samples in the patch...I think it would eliminate a lot of granyness.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/