POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : feature request (regarding &,|) : Re: feature request (regarding &,|) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:14:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: feature request (regarding &,|)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 20 Nov 2000 16:21:40
Message: <chrishuff-777F37.16220120112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a18fc06@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   I see many reasons to add something that has so many benefits although
> it might rarely sometimes cause some confusion.

What benefits? A small parsing speedup every once in a while, and more
rarely a fairly large speed improvement. And this can already be
accomplished by using a slightly different structure with the current
language, by nesting the conditionals.

Oh, and it lets you write nicely obfuscated code that doesn't do what it
appears to do, like this:

#if(ACondition & DoSomething()) #end

which would really be the same as this:

#if(ACondition)
    DoSomething()
#end

So, no real benefits, since what it does can easily be done manually
already, and it adds possible confusion.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><