POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : HF macro questions : Re: HF macro questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:34:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HF macro questions
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 23 Feb 2002 11:13:23
Message: <chrishuff-76C6E2.11131223022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c77b483@news.povray.org>,
 "Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote:

> I'm aware of this, but there are also cases where one does indeed want to
> use a specially designed image_map. I think it'd be best to provide the
> option to use either method.

There is an option.

> No, aligning the pattern right can be a big problem. Imagine a cylinder
> going from <1,2,3> to <6,5,4> - not so easy to fit the pattern to that
> object. So I think that the option to use the <0,0> to <1,1> area should be
> internally supported in the macros.

Hmm...I'd say this is a deficiency of the mapping warps, not of the
macros.

> Ask anyone about the height of a cylinder, and you'll get an answer that
> certainly doesn't fit which the definition of height in the macros in
> question. "Height" does not make sense for a cylinder, and for a sphere it
> only applies if the context is making planetoids.

Look for "spherical height field" and "cylinderical height field"...I
didn't make them up. The definition certainly does match what the macros
use...height on a sphere is the distance from the center, on a cylinder
it is distance from the axis (relative to the surface of a perfect
sphere or cylinder...a height of 0 on a 1 unit radius spherical height
field is 1 unit from the center).

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/