POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV ignoring my code! : Re: POV ignoring my code! Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV ignoring my code!
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 1 Oct 2002 17:26:17
Message: <chrishuff-75ACF8.17233201102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d9a0d82$1@news.povray.org>, "Shay" <sah### [at] simcopartscom>
wrote:

> Speaking of cumbersome elements, is there a reason why rotate uses degrees
> while other vector operations use radians?

There aren't any vector operations that use radians. The vrotate() and
vaxis_rotate() functions use degrees, none of the others use any kind of
angle unit. Are you thinking of the trig functions?
People usually think of angles in real-world measurements in terms of
degrees, but trig usually uses radians. The inconsistency isn't usually
a problem...geometric problems use degrees, math stuff uses radians. It
is more efficient than using degrees for everything, because the C math
library uses radians, and more convenient than using radians.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/