POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : looking for antialiasing critical scenes : Re: looking for antialiasing critical scenes Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: looking for antialiasing critical scenes
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 24 Feb 2002 14:13:58
Message: <chrishuff-739C51.14134924022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c7931d6@news.povray.org>,
 "Ben Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> Having superbright objects influence their surroundings more than others
> would mean, I believe, that ultrabright (>100?) objects would influence
> larger and larger areas of the screen, which is not possible with the
> current method.

Not at all. It will only influence a pixel which covers the object.

> Hmm, talking about color, how's this for an idea (warning: this is
> tangential to the thread): store all image data as 64bit integers, with the
> range 0-1 fitting in 24 or 32 bits.  Then, adjust the overall brightness of
> the scene based on the brightest object?

The brightness is already stored as single-precision floats, I don't see
where this would help. And scaling the colors so the brightest object is
rgb 1 won't work very well...it is too linear, and you will end up with
some objects being white and everything else being nearly black. And
antialiasing will still wipe out small details.
The clipping will eventually need to be done, because monitors have a
finite dynamic range, but it shouldn't be done before antialiasing in my
opinion. Really, there should be a way to output more accurate colors to
the final image file, there are a few formats designed for this.
A smarter antialiasing scheme should be possible, which would soften
jagged edges but leave points and small details alone.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/