POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Macro I'd like to see... : Re: Macro I'd like to see... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:26:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Macro I'd like to see...
From: Chris Huff
Date: 9 Jul 2000 19:38:02
Message: <chrishuff-6D1A7E.18382109072000@news.povray.org>
In article <8F6C6BC70spammindspringcom@204.213.191.228>,
SrP### [at] mindspringcom (Rich) wrote:

>   Is this an impossible dream??  I have looked at MegaPOV's trace
> function, but it goes over my head even if I stand up while I read
> about it.  <smile>    If it's possible and an explanation of how to
> go about doing it were available I could take a hack at it myself.

The trace() function is not difficult to understand. It just finds the
first intersection point of a line with an object, and optionally the
normal.
An approximation would be quite easy to do, with the trace() function
and the ReOrient() macro. This wouldn't be perfect, and on many
combinations of surfaces would give slightly incorrect results(the
objects intersecting in the area of contact), but should be adequate for
most purposes.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/