POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Wallpaper/background : Re: Wallpaper/background Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:25:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wallpaper/background
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 22 Nov 2002 12:28:01
Message: <chrishuff-6BEAF4.12262222112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3ddd4c7254c2b915a0c272b50@news.povray.org>,
 "gonzo" <rgo### [at] lansetcom> wrote:

> I just did this in a scene I'm working on and it seemed to work fine. I had
> a background that I wanted to illuminate with a colored light, but didn't
> want the colored light or background to influence the radiosity, so I made
> the light & background a light_group with global lights turned off, and it
> seems to do exactly what I wanted.

An object isn't a light though...this is the right way to make sure the
light only directly illuminates the backdrop, but it shouldn't have any
effect on radiosity. I suspect it just doesn't show a visible effect in
your scene.

Again, this kind of camera-aligned backdrop is useless for any kind of
realistic effect. The background should give a radiosity effect, and
should show up in reflections or refractions, so it needs to surround
the whole scene. You might be able to use a sky_sphere with the same
general color of the backdrop, and a random pattern that will look "good
enough" in reflections. Then the radiosity of the real backdrop won't
matter much, and the lighting of the scene will be closer to correct.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/