POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : higher "color" resolution grayscale images : Re: higher "color" resolution grayscale images Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:19:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: higher "color" resolution grayscale images
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 18 Dec 2002 11:43:24
Message: <chrishuff-6BD94D.11383318122002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e0076fd@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   I think that it uses the R and G values for the grayscale value (and leaves
> B to 0), but I can't remember for sure.

It only does that for TGA output, for PNG it creates a 16-bit PNG.

It isn't very clearly documented, and I really don't think a lot of
thought was put into the feature...the way it was done, one channel of
the TGA file is wasted, ordinary TGA files are pretty unuseable for
heightfields, and it doesn't fit in with the other global settings, it
looks like it should be a command line and .ini option, like the other
file output options.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/