POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : dual G4 performance : Re: dual G4 performance Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:06:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: dual G4 performance
From: Chris Huff
Date: 8 Aug 2000 08:26:44
Message: <chrishuff-69ABA9.07274608082000@news.povray.org>
In article <398ff0ae@news.povray.org>, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

> No, this is not the case when running Mac OS (it will be the case
> once Mac OS X is out early next year).  Mac OS still uses co-operate
> multitasking...
...snip...

As I understand it, the problem isn't the cooperative multitasking, it
is the way the multiprocessing is done. Currently, the Mac OS doesn't do
SMP(symmetric multiprocessing), it is assymetric. I think the OS gets
one CPU, and applications run on the second, unless they are
specifically designed to handle multiple CPUs(PhotoShop, for example,
can use both CPUs).

> Of course, it is always possible to install Linux PPC on a dual-G4
> Mac, and the multiprocessing world is 'normal' again :-)

Or you could just wait until the OS X public beta is released...

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/