POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Probably been asked... Why no power operator? : Re: Probably been asked... Why no power operator? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:12:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Probably been asked... Why no power operator?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 13 Nov 2002 21:37:05
Message: <chrishuff-655094.21363213112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3dd2f802cd39b0a38042f4fa0@news.povray.org>,
 "gilroy" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> I was wondering why the "raise to a power" operator was removed from
> POV-Ray.  (IIRC it was in earlier versions, though perhaps not 3.1.)

Your memory is faulty, it was never added. 3.1 is the version that came
before 3.5, nothing in between, and neither supported it. You are
probably thinking of MegaPOV.

> With ever more functioning becoming common in POV-Ray, the lack of a simple
> power notation seems, to me, to be a real step backward in readability.  Is
> there a reason it's gone?

Basically, somebody made a big stink about the precedence not being what
they wanted it to be, and it got pulled before 3.5 was publicly released.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/