POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : polygons or triangles : Re: polygons or triangles Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: polygons or triangles
From: Chris Huff
Date: 14 Dec 2000 17:25:31
Message: <chrishuff-618F6A.17263014122000@news.povray.org>
In article <3A386840.67044BB7@gmx.de>, chris <chr### [at] gmxde>
wrote:

> If I devide my complex freeform-surface up into polygons (quads) or
> trinangles and I want to render it (pov or another highquality
> renderer), there is the problem of defining a "smooth" transition from
> one element to the next, which is done with "spline"-patches, first (and
> second?) derivative at the boundaries the same (I'm not a
> math-expert..). I think, that both types (patches from quads or
> triangles) give a little different aproximation of the
> free-form-surface, but which one is the better one ?

I don't know what you are looking for...
Well, to start with, POV-Ray doesn't have a "quad" primitive, you will
have to approximate them with triangles or use polygons, so you can stop
talking in terms of quads.
You can use smooth_triangles, where you specify the normal of each
vertex of the triangle, and it is interpolated across the surface of the
triangle, but it doesn't actually do anything to the surface, it is
still perfectly flat.
Polygons don't allow you to specify vertex normals, and can not be used
in meshes.
You might be looking for bicubic patches (also called Bezier patches)...
In these, you specify a 4*4 grid of 16 points, and POV creates a curved
surface from this information. The surface really is curved, sort of
like a sheet of rubber, it doesn't just fake it with the normal(though
it is actually a triangle mesh internally). However, you can't use
bicubic_patch objects in meshes either, so your memory requirements will
go up, possibly *way* up, depending on what you are doing.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><