POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : anti-aliasing : Re: More methods? was Re: anti-aliasing Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More methods? was Re: anti-aliasing
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 14 Feb 2002 11:37:38
Message: <chrishuff-5F2123.11371914022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c6b54de@news.povray.org>,
 "Ben Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> > And then you have things like the
> > different camera types, camera normals, etc, which would make it
> > unuseable for any object...
>
> No, just some objects.

Nope, all of them. A camera normal will completely screw up any
calculations you come up with. You would also have to completely rewrite
it for each projection...some of which are probably also not reversable.
You would pretty much have to reduce the objects to triangles to do it
for the simplest cases...might as well use a scanline renderer at that
point.

> And besides, most (all?) objects have bounding
> shapes which can be used for the guesswork :)

Often very loose, and with nowhere close to corresponding to the
object's edges.

> > It is simply not worth implementing for the few cases it would actually
> > be any help.
>
> I disagree here, but I don't know how much work would be required in the
> implementation.

Then think about it until you understand. The amount of work would
probably be greater than rewriting all of POV (and would probably
require just this), and you would end up with something that does what a
scanline renderer does, but much slower. Just so you can get
near-perfect antialiasing of a couple objects, sometimes, and slower
than the equivalent adaptive settings.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/