POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Tesselation and mesh data extraction patches : Re: Tesselation and mesh data extraction patches Server Time
13 May 2024 09:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tesselation and mesh data extraction patches
From: Chris Huff
Date: 15 Dec 2000 13:20:59
Message: <chrishuff-5E5684.13215915122000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a3a03c0@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   Didn't remember that I would have to implement it in both the mesh and
> the mesh2 blocks...
>   The mesh2 may be a more difficult beast...

I don't think it would be necessary for the mesh2 object...as I
understand it, mesh2 is designed to make it easier for programs to
output in POV-readable format, not for hand coding, which is what
tesselation of primitives will be used for. So "mesh" will be the
hand-coding type, and "mesh2" will be the computer-generated type.
If you want to use the two together, something like this should be
allowed, allowing meshes, mesh2s, and maybe other shapes(height fields,
bicubic_patches...) and their identifiers to be added to mesh objects:

#declare Mesh2Ident = mesh2 {...}

mesh {
    Mesh2Ident
    mesh2 {...}
    mesh {...}
}

You won't even have to use a special syntax for this if your tesselation
patch automatically detects whether an object is already tesselated, and
copies that data (or a reference to it) instead of using your own
tesselation algorithm.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><