POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : OBJECT IDEA : Re: OBJECT IDEA Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:12:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OBJECT IDEA
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 17 Jul 2002 15:17:05
Message: <chrishuff-5C3715.14115317072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <1103_1026930387@news.povray.org>,
 Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] rrazcom> wrote:

> Only with an extraordinary number of triangles, and if you are using someone
> elses model...

The tesselation could be done at render time without too much drop in
speed, and the number of triangles wouldn't be so "extraordinary". And
it could work with any mesh, I don't know where you got the "someone
elses model" limitation.

> But yeah, if POV could be made aware of when such artifacts where
> visible and automatically tessalated those surfaces sufficiently to
> erase the jagged surfaces, that would be nice. The problem is that no
> program I know of does and not everyone can photoshop them away
> without making things worse.

I don't think it is such a problem...just increase the amount of
tessellation for triangles with a high curvature and "convex" triangles
where the normal for a flat triangle with the same points would be at a
high angle to the incoming ray. Maybe also adjust the tesselation
fineness across the triangle. There might be trouble with "tearing" or
"cracks", but there might be a way to prevent that, and it might not be
a big problem.

> The dark artifacts 'may' be fixed with the right changes, but
> squarish 'curves' will only be solved by either replacing them with
> something that can be CSGed, further tessalation or some alternate
> solution.

If you are using a mesh anyway, further tesselation seems like a perfect
solution.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/