POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: deform : Re: Field_deform (was: Request: deform) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:20:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Field_deform (was: Request: deform)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 10 Jan 2001 20:21:22
Message: <chrishuff-54DBCA.20230310012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a5b8dfc@news.povray.org>, "Rune" <run### [at] inamecom>
wrote:

> I thought this method could work for meshes only, since it would do
> moving of vertices.

Then it should probably be a specialized feature of meshes, not of a
"deform" feature...hmm, am I the only one who has noticed there seems to
be a lot more mesh ideas/patch work being done lately?

> The relative type would be useful for things like bone systems, where
> every part of the mesh is deformed, and the original locations of the
> vertices should not have any affection at all. In this case you would
> want to make sure that your entire mesh is enclosed by the fields.

It might be a better idea to just implement a bone system. Maybe a new
kind of mesh..."boned_mesh"...would be the easiest way to do things. I'm
not sure the "deform fields" idea will be very easy to use...but inverse
kinematics features could be worked into a boned mesh feature, and it
might be easier to make a new kind of object instead of trying to work
the additional data/algorithms/syntax into the existing mesh object.

> I still don't know what would be the best way to define the fields with.
> Patterns, blob-like fields, maybe both options, or maybe something
> entirely different?

Patterns would be the most flexible way. Remember, you can make
blob-like fields with a pattern, too. You might even be able to use the
blob pattern. :-)

--
Christopher James Huff

<><