POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : #declare : Re: #declare Server Time
11 Sep 2024 03:29:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #declare
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 23 Oct 2002 13:24:57
Message: <chrishuff-4EC4FB.13185723102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3db6d235$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Greg M. Johnson" <gregj:-)565### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> Well, the old dilemma where I cannot write   #declare a=x^2.5;   anymore.
> Common practice (and sense?) conflicted with one of the more obtuse (using
> nice words here) features of a few programming languages, so the whole SDL
> gets rewritten.

"def a = x^2.5;" is more obtuse than "#declare a = x^2.5;"?
It really sounds like you just dislike anything that is different or
unfamiliar.

> >> Don't make it eclectic.
> Isn't there a word that rhymes with this that means "of interest to, or
> understandable by, only a small group of people"?

I think the word you are looking for is "esoteric", also "arcane",
"mysterious", "inscrutible". And "POV-Script" would already qualify for
that quite well...it is a pretty strange language, relatively unknown
compared to most other languages, and eclectic in that it borrows bits
and pieces from many other langauges. It also makes you learn a lot more
than is necessary, and has many quirks and inconsistencies. Cleaning it
up and making it easier to learn will be necessary to get it to a larger
group of people.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/