POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problem trying to bound a sphere : Re: Problem trying to bound a sphere Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:13:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem trying to bound a sphere
From: Chris Huff
Date: 1 Nov 2000 19:22:28
Message: <chrishuff-4DE987.19253501112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a00920c@news.povray.org>, "Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk>
wrote:

> I haven't tried it, but could it be that your bounding sphere is the same
> radius as the globe - a coincident surface type problem?
> Try making the bounding sphere a unit bigger?

Bounding shapes don't check depth, they simply test whether an
intersection is possible or not. Kind of a visibility test. It might be
possible for a problem to occur at the edges if a ray happens to just
graze the sphere(something which is practically impossible and unlikely
to produce a visible artifact if it does), but in the center of the
bounding sphere it wouldn't be a problem.
In this case, a bounding sphere that surrounds the camera, lights, and
any transparent/reflective objects should as well as a sphere
surrounding the whole sphere.

> Also, shouldn't your globe be "inverse"?

Or hollow. Inverse would make more sense, but neither is actually
necessary unless you are using media or fog.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><