POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Possible Feature?: Light Frequencies... : Re: Possible Feature?: Light Frequencies... Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible Feature?: Light Frequencies...
From: Chris Huff
Date: 12 Jan 2001 17:20:52
Message: <chrishuff-4D3CF1.17223312012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a5f7d93@news.povray.org>, "Equiprawn"
<ele### [at] redbrickdcuie> wrote:

> So I was wondering - you it be possible to add this kind of feature
> to a raytracer? Would it just be an addition to the light source code
> (like some kind of colourmap, except for frequencies)? Or would it be
> necessary to specify aswell in textures how they should react to
> different frequencies of light? Would it be difficult to add this
> kind of thing?

Full simulation of this type of thing would be extremely difficult,
slow, and still not a perfect representation of reality...however, there
is such a thing as "good enough". :-)
Colored lights are allowed...they are sufficient in many cases. If you
want to model the splitting of wavelengths from prisms, MegaPOV has a
dispersion patch (which works with photon mapping). I'm not sure what
the exact effect you want is...do you want calculations done in spectral
color space instead of RGB?

--
Christopher James Huff

<><