POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Delving into the bozo world (144KB) : Re: Delving into the bozo world (144KB) Server Time
28 Apr 2024 16:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Delving into the bozo world (144KB)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 17 Oct 2000 22:04:41
Message: <chrishuff-4CE961.21072517102000@news.povray.org>
In article <39ECEEA7.AD8656E5@hotmail.com>, Tor Olav Kristensen
<tor### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> But are there any differences in the possible applications (within
> iso-surfaces) for the bozo pattern and the noise3d function ?

Well, you can use the color_map of the bozo pigment function to get a
different range of values...and using noise3d() directly is faster.

> I tried to make the radius of all my iso spheres dependent of the
> field strength at certain points in space, but MegaPOV complained
> about not finding a float inside the <> part of the "sphere"
> statement.
> Can you please explain ?

That portion of the function is parsed once and then the result is
evaluated multiple times...you can't use isofunctions to control it. The
same goes for pigment functions...you can't do something like this:
function {pigment {bozo scale Func(x, y, z)}}
One of the more obvious reasons for this is that the syntax for
functions and the syntax for the rest of the POV-Script can't be used in
the same place...for example, x, y, and z mean different things, vectors
don't exist in functions, etc.

> Is there any other way to do this ?

No. Well, yes...you could modify the isosurface code to add a function
to do what you want, or you could use the eval_pattern() or
eval_pigment() functions to control millions of separate objects, but
that is probably not what you wanted to hear.
There may be some other way to get the same or a similar effect with
isosurfaces, though. There is very little that is impossible to do with
an isosurface...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><