POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : About THAT idea... : Re: About THAT idea... Server Time
5 Aug 2024 12:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About THAT idea...
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 Sep 2002 19:31:28
Message: <chrishuff-3F2DB3.19303012092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> Phong highlight, my env_map, extendet output format (my and someone
> other's), buffering entire output (instead of just 2 lines for AA) and
> meany more - all will NOT be implemented :-/

POV has phong highlights. Were you referring to the Gouraud shading
question? It is a hack of doing lighting calculations on vertices and
interpolating the color instead of interpolating the normal, is
something that only applies to scanline renderers, and is mainly useful
for realtime rendering on older video cards or software. It would take a
lot of effort to implement in POV, would only be possible for
tessellated shapes, would give far inferior results, and has no
advantages.

Environment mapping is a hack designed to simulate reflection for
systems that can't do real reflection. POV can do real reflection, it
has no need to use a method that fakes the effect, takes more memory,
and probably won't give any useful speed increase.

Extended file format? Readable by what? It would take a lot of
modifications and would only be useful for a few programs designed to
work with the patch. You should have expected that very few people would
be interested.

It was explained why your output buffering idea was a bad one. It would
not speed things up, it would use more memory, and would make you lose
the entire image if the system crashed or went down for another reason.

There are many other ideas, most of them actually good and useful ones,
that *were* implemented as patches and incorporated into POV.

> I have meany good ideas, I may implement them in MY demostration program
> (C++ GCC) but I dont have time (now) to write path. And even if I do - so
> many interesting pathes are not included in official pov.

The reason nobody else is interested is that you are the only one who
think your ideas are good. And your refusal to actually work on POV
comes across as arrogance. With the quality of your suggestions, I doubt
you have much skill in programming.

> What's the probelm to get now all pathes for pov, copy code, do few tests
> and release Pov 3.6 ?

You really have no idea how software is developed, do you? Your previous
suggestions made it hard to compare, but that has to be the stupidest
one I have ever seen.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/