POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Speaking of 3DS Max... : Re: Speaking of 3DS Max... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaking of 3DS Max...
From: Chris Huff
Date: 8 Aug 2000 17:11:16
Message: <chrishuff-38AE68.16121808082000@news.povray.org>
In article <3990051b@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   Let me assure you that it's a LOT more difficult to get a good image
> with pure OpenGL (without using any modeller) than with povray
> (without using any modeller).

As someone just learning OpenGL, I can agree with that...OpenGL is a
low-level graphics API, not a scene description or scripting language.
:-)
If you want things like realistic lighting, reflections and refraction,
you have to implement it yourself. Even simple transparence takes some
extra effort.

Currently, the most complex thing I have done is a particle system
simulating a bunch of skyrockets.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/