POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CSDL: C-like Simulation Description Language : Re: CSDL: C-like Simulation Description Language Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:25:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSDL: C-like Simulation Description Language
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 16 Jan 2002 11:55:07
Message: <chrishuff-38742E.11561316012002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3C4### [at] comtradeee>,
 Vahur Krouverk <vkr### [at] comtradeee> wrote:

> Your syntax supports only vectors,

Scalars and vectors, actually. Though currently the expression engine
uses the 3D vector code for both.

> but if you are going to support transformations, then perhaps it
> would be better to distinguish points, vectors and normals (as they
> transform differently)?

Only the math is different. The library will eventually include
functions for point and normal manipulation, as well as transformation
objects.

> If your language will allow 'overridden' functions,

I think you mean "overloaded" functions...this is something I've been
thinking of, but it isn't implemented (yet). Of course, parameters
aren't fully implemented yet either...

> then perhaps it could get away with 1 function (if there is
> possibility to recognize, which type was given as actual parameter),
> but better would be to use 3 different functions, as it improves
> readability and allows to avoid or catch errors (IMO).

There will be separate transformation functions for points, vectors, and
normals.