POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Are there any utilities that convert a povray object to a povray mesh2? : Re: Are there any utilities that convert a povray object to a povray mesh2? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:20:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Are there any utilities that convert a povray object to a povray mesh2?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 6 Aug 2002 15:51:50
Message: <chrishuff-364CF2.14414706082002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d5025cb$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Patrick Dugan" <pat### [at] usnetcomcorpcom> wrote:

> The reason I am assuming the improvement is: If I create an object using
> differences and render it and then create the same object but using
> unions and render it, the render time is much faster.  I thought that
> differences slowed down rendering.  I felt that if a mesh (or mesh2)
> object didn't have differences it should render faster.
> Of course my assumptions are probably as full of holes as my objects!

A difference is harder to calculate than a union, that's why it is
slower. I don't know what your reasoning is that makes you think a mesh
is automatically faster because a difference is slower than a union with
the same shapes. The mesh primitive is a completely separate shape, not
related to either of those, so you would need to make a mesh version to
make any comparison.

The mesh code in POV is very efficient, it is quite possible it will
render faster than your CSG. Or it might not, you would need a lot of
triangles to get a good approximation of the CSG. It won't be worth the
trouble and memory unless your CSG is very slow, and there might be a
way to make the CSG faster.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/