POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can these textures be created in POVRay, or is a patch required? : Re: Can these textures be created in POVRay, or is a patch required? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:21:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can these textures be created in POVRay, or is a patch required?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 26 Dec 2002 20:42:44
Message: <chrishuff-306E79.20380326122002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <293### [at] 3-enet>, Daniel Matthews <dan#@3-e.net>
wrote:

> > http://racah.fiz.huji.ac.il/~eldadb/mic-react.html
> > Microscopic Simulation of Reaction-Diffusion Processes
> >
> > They describe an entire class of common textures found in natural
> > phenomena, that seem to be missing from all of the POV work I have seen
> > over the years, with the exception of a few image maps such as those on G.
> > Tran's Zebras.
>
> Ugh! That page is a little old (suffering from link rot).
> Here is another,
> http://cnls.lanl.gov/~aric/Simulations/Simulations.html

These seem to be a bit different from the procedural patterns POV uses.
They look like they have more in common with cellular automata...they
are computed at a grid of points over a limited domain, such as a finite
2D square. They are not ideal for POV patterns, though you could
probably work them into the image_map feature (or possibly the density
file feature for a 3D version). An external program would be better, you
could adjust the pattern more easily and there is no real benefit to
having it part of POV.

It would be interesting to see them "grown" on the surface of an object
instead of a simple plane, but this would probably require tessellating
the object, or otherwise coming up with points on the object and
information about how they are connected by the surface, and I don't
know how you could apply it to the original object.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/