POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : prism 20% faster :) : Re: prism 20% faster :) Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: prism 20% faster :)
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 10 Aug 2002 20:31:34
Message: <chrishuff-2D744D.19194410082002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> I just found out that linear_spline prism can be render about 20% faster,
> just after changing it to mesh (or even - set of triangles)

Your message is very confused...first you say meshes are 20% faster,
then you give numbers showing they are slower. And your scene code uses
a lot of variables and tra() and qua() macros without defining them.

> mesh  55 sec
> prism 51 sec
> union 41 sec
>
> hmm personaly I would expect somthing different :)
>
> is't this some kind of bug ? imho mesh should be the fastest ?

What is your point? You made some assumptions and then say it must be a
bug when they turn out to be incorrect? It's a bug that reality doesn't
match your opinion of how things should be? Sure, why don't we slow down
unions and prisms to fix this...

A mesh is a different shape from a union, it is specially designed to
handle large numbers of triangles. The prism mesh probably just isn't
big enough to get the advantages of a mesh. A prism is completely
different from either a union or a mesh. If prisms were limited to being
convex, the linear spline prism primitive could probably be the fastest,
but they aren't limited in that way. This is an isolated special case,
and doesn't indicate any bugs anywhere.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/