POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CSDL: C-like Simulation Description Language : Re: CSDL: C-like Simulation Description Language Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:27:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSDL: C-like Simulation Description Language
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 Jan 2002 12:58:17
Message: <chrishuff-2CAB36.12590312012002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c406e51@news.povray.org>,
 "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

> Looks interesting.  The idea of using a simple C/C++ like language with more
> abstract data types and then translate to plain C/C++ is really powerful.

There will be two separate languages, at least at first...SimC will
support all C features (structs, pointers, and other C data types, C
function syntax, etc), while CSDL will have a more simplified syntax
(references instead of pointers, no structs, etc...the expression
handling will be far simpler, at least at first). SimC will be basically
C + odd flavor of OOP + geometric vector type.
I've heard something described as "prototype-based OOP" that sounds
similar to what I'm doing...does anyone have any information about it?
I've started to build a library, and it seems to be a very simple and
powerful way to work...

> Using your idea together with "full" function support in POV-Ray 4.0 * might
> i.e. allow to develop POV-Ray source code (like new objects) in POV-Ray
> itself and then just run it through a C/C++ converter to generate fast code
> after everything has been debugged.  This could speed up the development
> cycle and the rewrite in general...

Now that is an interesting idea...I had originally started this project
to try out some ideas I had for the POV 4.0 language, mainly the OOP
ideas. I haven't even started the translator project yet...
BTW, know of any good sites with information on VM/compiler design?

> * Just mentioning it, I don't want to get into any discussion about 4.0!

Ok. ;-)