POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : max_trace_level : Re: max_trace_level Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:11:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: max_trace_level
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 20 Aug 2002 21:13:10
Message: <chrishuff-2B7953.19584420082002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d62e0ae@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   But how do you get the "ray's next intersection" without shooting a new
> ray in the same direction as the original ray, starting from the first
> intersection point?

You already found it, you just rejected it because the first
intersection was closer. Generate a sorted list of the intersections
instead and step along it until you find a refracting or opaque surface.

>   Besides, how does the engine decide that the surface is completely
> invisible?

No ior specified (this is not the same as an ior of 1), a solid pigment
of rgbf and/or rgbt 1, and no funny finish stuff. Or a simple
"is_container" flag.

>   And even if we had a "completely invisible" type of object, what would
> be the use for this kind of object? If it's completely ignored in the
> intersection tests, that would be the same thing as not having the object
> in the scene at all. What's the use of this kind of non-existent object?

Media containers. The intersection wouldn't be totally ignored, ray
entry/exit would still be tracked, but no texture calculations would be
done and trace level wouldn't be incremented.
A similar thing would apply to transparent but non-refracting surfaces.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/