POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Very quick/small survey, please fill! : Re: off-topic quick comment on Mac OS X Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:08:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: off-topic quick comment on Mac OS X
From: Chris Huff
Date: 17 Nov 2000 21:40:24
Message: <chrishuff-2B1D54.21404217112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3A155C9A.A168D648@mac.com>, mck### [at] maccom wrote:

> I'm participating in the OS X public beta, and I have to say that it's
> only about 80% ready for the public.  On the other hand, at its current
> state, if you can tolerate the rough edges, it does indeed rock.

I agree about the "80% ready" part. At least, if by "public" you mean
final release, for a public beta it is pretty good as far as stability
and performance.
The interface seems a bit undeveloped, but I expect that to change
quickly with the additional releases, since they appear to be starting
from the basic interface ideas and building onto that instead of having
the melting pot of different and inconsistent interface features like
Mac OS 9 and earlier.

> When running POV-Ray in the classic layer under OS X public beta, I've
> found that it's wisest not to have any other classic aps running at the
> same time -- often, odd interactions in the shared memory space of the
> classic layer will cause not just the classic layer, but the entire OS
> to hang when you try a complex render.

I haven't had the OS hang yet...but POV-Ray is the only thing I run
under Classic. :-)
I've been trying to compile POV-Ray with Project Builder, but haven't
had much success yet. I *did* get all the files to compile, so I am
making some progress...maybe I can eventually get a simple Cocoa
interface for MegaPOV. Whether it would be functional enough for anyone
to want to use it is another question...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><