POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Tesselation process : Re: Tesselation process Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tesselation process
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 21 Feb 2002 17:50:39
Message: <chrishuff-283D7A.17502921022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3C74BB1F.D2267C56@atosorigin.com>,

> I still think that a tesselated object is just an object,

Agreed.

> and that deformation of mesh are still another object whose parameter
> is an input mesh and some additional parameters.

Hmm? Are you talking about some sort of "deform" object that takes a
mesh as input? That might be what was wrong with my approach, I was
attempting to deform a mesh, with a syntax more like transformations.

> Having a 'tesselation' block would mean to provide a view to the user which
> would really be very different from the internal: because the user would see
> it as an extension of any object, whereas in real code, the object would
> have been completely replaced by something else.

This sort of thing is done already: bicubic patches and height fields
are reduced to triangles internally, and some objects have a "sturm"
option to change the intersection solver. The tesselate flag wouldn't
replace the object, it would just tell it to use a mesh for the
intersection calculations. It could even use the object's own normal and
insideness calculations. The flag wouldn't be used for deformation or
anything, just for intersection. Some other method would be used to
generate a mesh, I'd suggest something like: mesh {OBJECT} or tesselate
{OBJECT}.

> Moreover, some object won't be able to support this block, which is really
> annoying because it breaks the homogeneity of the 'object' in Pov.

Which objects? The only ones I can think of are the infinite ones, and a
stand-in could be generated for those...two very big triangles for the
plane, for example. And these objects have to be dealt with anyway, what
does your patch currently do?

> Last, I do not believe that transformation of mesh are similar to blob
> component:
>  the order in which the transformation are made usually is important.
>  So adding a 'tesselation block' would means to have something similar to
> layered texture, which would just prouve to be counter-productive for mesh
> transformation in the current state of the code.

I don't understand...what do blobs have to do with this? Did I miss
something?

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/